Last year I had a number of freelance projects that kept my schedule pretty full, including some more writing work for Archie, some comic scripting work for another client (can’t say who, yet!), and a little drawing gig for Marvel (Marvel Now What?! #1). A lot of fun projects!
But even though I had a lot of work to do, I am happy to report that I finally completed my second draft of Winter Wilder. It was a major re-haul of the story with a number of significant changes and additions from the first draft. In fact, there may have been TOO many additions, as my second draft clocked out at 115k words!!
That’s a LOT of pages.
Most YA is around the 70-90k range, so in order to be taken seriously by an agent, I need to make some cuts and get it down to around 90k. I’ve taken a short break from it so that I can read it again with fresh eyes and undergo the task of murdering all my darlings, but I don’t think that process will take very long, and I hope to start seriously querying agents within the month.
After working on this project for over 3 years now, I’m ready for it to become published in 2014, one way or another!
For those interested, I’ve updated the Sample Chapters 1 and 2 on this site with my latest revisions. Thanks for all those who have asked me about this project and who have been offering me their support over the years! I think I may have given up a long time ago if it weren’t for the encouragement of others!
Thank you for reading, and check back to see my progress as I start the scary process of querying!
This article was written by Tania
I can’t believe it is already September in 2014. Yikes.
So glad things have been going well for you. I trust that the querying has been good.
There is I think one thing about writing, it really is all about the editing, and then the editing, and finally the editing. But, hey practise makes, if not perfect in my case, then better than it was. I really enjoyed your revised chapters. definitely stronger. Fingers crossed for you.